Communication skills are imperative to any job, and can be divided between speaking and writing (expression), and listening and reading (interpretation). Not only can communication skills help workers exchange information and share feedback, but they will help retain customers in a service-related field.
Communication skills are not just measured in verbal actions, but in non-verbal cues as well. Body language and facial expressions are key players when it comes to your employees communicating well with customers and other important stakeholders. Below, we have outlined how Bryq measures Communication abilities through our assessment. Candidates who score highly in this area would match well with a Communications role.
Do note that like all personality questions, this will cover the most common scenarios, but there will always be exceptions that confirm the rule.
Communication is calculated from traits including:
- Social Boldness
Click here for instructions on how to add Indicators to your assessments.
If you want to see if Indicators are available for your plan, check out the Feature Availability article.
Communication Interview Questions: A few interview questions that will be helpful for you during your interview.
- Describe a time when you had to communicate something unpleasant or complex to a manager or team member. How did you go about it? What feedback did you receive?
- How would you explain this industry term (for an engineer: machine learning) to someone from a different discipline?
- Describe a situation when you faced conflict and how you addressed it.
- Describe a successful presentation you gave and why you think it was a hit.
- Describe your greatest accomplishment in your career so far. What were the steps required to achieve your accomplishment?
- Describe a time when you had to successfully persuade a colleague to use a particular approach at work and what challenges did you encounter?
- Describe how you vary your communication approach according to the audience you’re addressing.
- Provide an example where your communication skills made a difference in a situation.
- What would you do if you were briefed on a project and did not understand the requirements?
- What major challenges and problems have you faced? How did you handle it?
- Doyle, Alison. “Here's How to Answer Job Interview Questions About Communication.” The Balance Careers, www.thebalancecareers.com/communication-interview-questions-and-best-answers-2061251.
- Masduki, M., & Zakaria, N. Fulfilling the Demand for Workplace Communication Skills in the Civil Engineering Industry.